Sunday, November 13, 2005

My F.E.A.R review

Last week, my housemate Yu Xin told me he had bought a copy of F.E.A.R. After hearing this I grew excited. It actually made me to look forward to coming back to Melaka today (we were having our semester breaks). Despite listening to the complaints of Yu Xin, I decided to give F.E.A.R a try since nearly all of the critics both online and offline (including a whole bunch of forumers) had given this game such great ratings that the last time I had seen a rating so high in a First Person Shooter is Half-life 2's. After much anticipation I finally got to played it and boy AM I FUCKING DISAPPOINTED.

Here's what I think of F.E.A.R

Short Review
It's overhyped
It's overrated
It's graphics is one of the best out there
It's mediocre
It's frightening.... NOT
Last but not least it's definitely NOT WORTH THE HYPE


Long-ass Review
I just don't understand how critics rate this game as if it is one of the must play games of the year. The graphics is nice, the sound is ok, the storyline is definitely not it's selling point and last but not least the gameplay is mediocre at best. Monolith uses lots of cheap scare tactics which only work once on me and that's it. They fail to deliver the same type of scary environment you find in survivor horror games. Heck, it's not as scary as Doom or the Rivenholm (or issit Ravenholm?) level in Half-life 2. The only plus point to the gameplay is the excellent AI.

This game is seriously overhyped. It's even more overhyped than both Half-life 2 and Doom 3 put together and yet it just fall short of my expectations of that game.

Overall, I give this game a 6.5 out of 10 for its great graphics and some great use of physics DURING slow motion and of course great AI. Last but not least, I had never been both so excited and so disappointed in anything since Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"the storyline is definitely not it's selling point and last but not least the gameplay is mediocre at best."
Have you finished playing the game before making that statement?

Justin Tan said...

yeap. IMHO in terms of storyline Half-life 2 > F.E.A.R. I don't know but the superhuman from experiment with ghosts is definitely not my cup of coffee.... It's like Psi-ops + Fatal Frame minus the scares.