Monday, January 29, 2007

Top 10 Favourite Movies of All Time

It's 2.30am and for some reason I can't seem to fall asleep. Since I got nothing better to do, I had compiled a list of my 10 favourite movies of all time. Movies like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars are considered as one movie since all of their movies tell one huge epic story. Movies with the same name but feature different stories such as the various Monty Python movies are separated as they told a different tale and have different universe.

10. Death Note I and II
Simply put. Death Note Live Action Movie is awesome. Its one of the best books to movie adaptation I had ever seen since Lord of the Rings. The pacing is great, each twists and turns are done perfectly without the audiences going "WTF JUST HAPPENED?". The change to the story is awesome too. Instead of dragging the show into two freaking story arcs like the manga, the movie ends it in the first arc. The acting is good too especially Ken'ichi Matsuyama's portrayal of super-detective L.


9. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
An excellent dark comedy about the Cold War. Its about a delusion US General trying to bomb the Soviet Union based on his crazy theory on fluoridated water. Things goes even crazier when the US tries hard to undo their mistakes. Definitely one of the best comedies I had watched.


8. Ghostbusters
How can a movie starring 3 of the best comedians of the late 80s (Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis) suck? This movie is stock with one-liners after one-liners and memorable scenes after memorable scenes. Most of the humour are presented through the script instead of the brainless slapstick comedies Hollywood are producing these days.


7. Pirates of the Carribean
I have a small confession to make. Ever since primary school, I had been fascinated with pirates. I had even imagine myself being one. I had even played pirate-sim after pirate-sim on my computer. Unfortunately none of the games ever capture my imagination (until I played Sid Meier's Pirates last year but that's another story) and surprisingly Hollywood did not make any pirate films after a not-that-bad Cutthroat Island in the early 90s. When Pirates of the Carribean was showing I was skeptic about it being any good. I mean who would had thought a movie based on a theme park ride to be even decent? So I watched the movie with zero expectations and to my surprise it is actually a very well made film. True Orlando "Legolas" Bloom is sucky and the plot is as simple as a Saturday morning cartoon, but the way Johnny Depp carry this movie is what make this movie enjoyable.


6. Monty Python and the Life of Brian
Decades before Da Vinci's Code become a controversy among the Christian society, this Monty Python classic had been causing quite a storm among Christians and even banned in some country. Its about the life story of a guy name Brian who happens to be born in a manger next to Jesus Christ himself. This movie parodies and make fun of religion (not God btw) and also blind zealotry. Not recommended to religious fanatics ;)


5. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
What can I say? This is definitely the most funniest comedy I had ever watched. Period.


4. Lord of the Rings
LOTR is THE textbook of how a great fantasy film should be like. Great editing (the book is very long-winded and I am surprise how Peter Jackson actually squeeze all its contents into less than 10 hours), great casts and superbly done visual effects make this movie one of the best movies ever.


3. Star Wars Original Trilogy
Intergalactic battles (X-wings, Tie Fighters, pew pew pew)... check. Great villain (Darth Vader).... check. Great story about good vs evil.... check. Memorable characters (Han Solo and slave Leia :P)... check. Cool action scenes (who would had thought aliens fought with fluorescent lamps as weapons could be so cool?).... check. Need I say more? :P


2. Infernal Affairs Trilogy
Just when you thought Hong Kong movie industry is dead and creativity had run dry... they just have to surprise you with one of the best concept ever conceive in this decade. A mole vs mole flick with so many twists and turns that it make Hollywood took notice. Too bad Hollywood have to "remake" this classic into a pile of shit.


1. The Godfather Part I and Part II
A story of how the Corleone family, the most powerful mafia family in New York, stir its way through disaster after disaster before breaking apart and how Al Pacino's Michael Corleone turned from a goody-two shoes son into a horrific mass-murderer. Definitely the best movie I had ever watched.

No comments: